Implementation Of AIS 140 GPS Devices On All Public Transport Vehicles, NationwideBy: Sree Sai - May 03, 2019
On the 28th of November 2016, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH), had mandated fitting of AIS-140 GPS devices with effect from 1st April 2018. The action was an outcome of Justice Verma’s Committee report which recommended that all transport vehicles should be fitted with tamper-proof GPS tracking systems.
Recently MoRTH released a notification, according to which the Central Government has exempted all public service vehicles from the provisions of rule 125H of the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989 up to the 1st of April, 2019. This delay has hampered the primary motive of the regulation. In order to expedite the implementation, it has been proposed that the initiative be implemented in a phased manner.
The compliance could begin in states like Delhi & Kerala who have the backend infrastructure ready. The system could then be deployed in various other states considering the availability of the vendors providing the backend services. States like Maharashtra, Gujarat and Tamil Nadu where the working women population is very high can start implementation in phase 2, followed by Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, and Telangana, and others.
Implications Of Delayed Implementation
Improved Safety Measures For Women Need To BeImplemented
Modes of public transportation where safety measures like vehicle tracking devices and emergency response system are absent are quite the nightmare for women passengers who travel frequently. Although the government has taken steps against criminals involved in women and girl child abuse by giving them capital punishment, no preventive measures have been taken by the concerned authorities to ensure the safety and security of traveling women.
Presently, India has the right ecosystem in place to expedite such an important initiative. Any further delays in implementing such measures will only aggravate the current situation of public transport in India. With a mammoth growth from 0.3 million registered vehicles in 1951 to 0.2 billion in 2015, AIS 140 could be the answer to safety and protection for women, children and the general population, with added benefits like pollution control, traffic management and more…
Zuppa is committed in their motive to improve the public transportation system, largely by improving its safety protocols by the immediate implementation of the AIS 140 GPS Devices on all public transport across the country.
Categories : Vehicle Telematics
Tags : Investment vehicles
- UBI ( Usage Based Insurance ) an Opportunity For Insurers To Rapidly Expand Like TELECOs did with Prepaid Plans
- Central Government Mandates AIS 140 GPS Trackers
- The Menace of The Faceless Drone Operators
- Implementation Of AIS 140 GPS Devices On All Public Transport Vehicles, Nationwide
- MoRTH’s AIS 140 VLT Device – A SolutionForSafety & Security Of Women Using Public Road Transport
- Breaking Down The Vahan Portal
- Regulations And Indigenous Tracking Solutions Will Ensure Safe Drones In India
- Drone manufacturer Zuppa plans expansion; to raise ₹100 crore
- Improving Passenger Safety Across in India By Government Mandate
- Love flying but no certification? Here comes drone piloting